February 3, 2018

01.18

I should start by explaining, or at the very least acknowledging, why the hell I haven’t written a damn thing since March (of 2016, yikes!). And now that I’ve acknowledged it, we can save that for another day (year?).

Regardless, I’ve felt compelled to write in some capacity again, and I figure there’s no time like the present (Carrie Bradshaw, anyone?). But instead of trying to be a blogger or a photographer or a designer, I’m going to be a writer. Because there’s too much pressure in making the perfect post. 

The older I get I realize how much more I forget. Like, what did I have for lunch yesterday? Your guess is as good as mine. And while I won’t capture that level of minute (lame) detail, I wouldn’t mind recording the highlights of each month. How else does one remember anything they’ve done in the course of a week, a month, a year?

So my new goal for myself is to write a recap of each month this year. We’ll see how this goes.

And for those of you on the edge of their seat – I am 87% sure I had avocado toast for lunch yesterday.



January 2018


New year, same me. Rang in the new year by falling asleep shortly after midnight while out celebrating. Whoops. When did I get so old?

Sleep
And while we’re on the topic of sleep. HOLY. GUACAMOLE. I have been sleeping. The stars have aligned and I have rediscovered the art of sleeping. Which, if you know me, has been my biggest health/wellness challenge for most of my adult life. Yet here I am, unable to keep my eyes open long enough at night to finish even a few pages of whatever book I’m reading. It’s magical. Right now I’m crediting waking up earlier, going to bed earlier, and exercising more. 

Restaurant Week
One of the best weeks of the year in KC. Because, food. And my parents were in town for the long weekend, meaning we got to partake A LOT. While we didn’t get in to all the places I had in mind, we still managed to revisit a few favorites AND try a few new spots. In the course of a week, here’s where I managed to hit: Westport Cafe, Pressed Penny Tavern, Taveronna, and RM 39. It’s important to note we also dined at Port Fonda and Genessee Royale Bistro, and drank at Tiki Cat (a must if you’re ever in KC) and PS.

Fun
This was Tommy's first full month back in KC so there were several date nights including Lulu's, Boru, a day at the spa, and the comedy club. Plus we had a few oddly good weather days where we played tennis, ran (together!), and walked to HiHat. The Chiefs playoff game was NOT a good weather day (nor a good game). Sunday bingo at Boulevard is officially a thing. My Little and I made our own doughnuts, celebrated the Chinese New Year at the Nelson, and played a lot of Uno.

Books
I made a mental resolution to myself to read more this year. I was aiming to read at least one book a month. I managed to read four books in January. TBH, I was hoping to spend LESS time mindlessly scrolling through IG but I don’t think that happened. Tommy will attest to that. Regardless, here’s what I finished: Modern Lovers (will make you contemplate the lives of those closest to you); When Breath Becomes Air (a quick must-read, have tissues nearby); The Couple Next Door (twisted and kept my attention but seemed rushed at the end); The Woman in Cabin 10 (every time I thought I had it figured out I was proven wrong). Now on to Ill Will.

Products + Things
Essie TLC Polish - I’ve never had more people compliment my nails, nor have I ever maintained a decent manicure for more than 10 minutes after polishing. New favorite formula.

Love and Lemons Cookbook - Picked up this cookbook on a whim at the library and am likely racking up some major late fees. But I don’t care because this book and the author are magical. The veggie love runs deep.

Burts Bees Oil Cleanser - This oil cleanser is the bee's knees (get it?). I look forward to washing my face at night because of this stuff. It’s like a mini massage/facial that is so much more appealing than any cleansers and scrubs of the past. Worth every penny.

Cameron’s Vanilla Hazelnut K Cups - I was getting so bored with the same old French roast I was drinking everyday. A lighter roast, but not too sweet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment