March 5, 2018

02.18

Of course the shortest month felt like one of the longest. I blame some of it (most of it) on the shitty weather. We hadn’t had true winter conditions in KC for a few years, and in the course of a few weeks we managed to have a constant rotation of snow, ice, and rain.

Long cold days called for a lot of indoor activities. The slowness of the month was embraced by spending a lot of time reading, watching Hulu (Versace, and somehow The Bachelor), and cooking at home. I also started making coffee the old fashioned way by grinding whole beans and boiling water for my French press. 

Here’s a recap of the past few weeks. 



February 2018


Iowa
We made a quick trip to Cedar Falls to celebrate Grandpa Bill’s 80th birthday. We had a great dinner at Montage, and made it out to Single Speed for a few beers before the yawns ensued. We had an entertaining breakfast with Betty before heading back to KC Sunday morning. The trip was short but sweet. And snowy. So much snow.

Valentine's Day
Tommy and I celebrated our second Valentine’s Day together with a dinner at Charisse. Neither of us had been before, and we were pleasantly surprised with the vibe and the food. We did the four course option, and both had delicious dishes. However, I had to send my entree back which I have never done before. I felt awful at the time, but am so happy I did because if I hadn’t I think the night would have ended differently. Because it was a French restaurant, the meal was long and it was nice to enjoy an evening together.

Fun
We spent several nights at the bowling alley, and I discovered that I can be a decent bowler from time to time. In fact, when you add in my handicap (which I still don’t fully understand) I can compete and sometimes win. Savannah and I went to the National Museum of Toys and Miniatures which ended up being a huge hit. Tommy and I were supposed to take a cooking class on the Plaza, but it unfortunately was canceled last minute. We ended up trying a new brunch spot instead.

Books
Ill Will - Perhaps the strangest book I’ve ever read. Read if you like twisted serial killer thrillers. Don’t read if you can’t stand unresolved endings. 

The Bright Hour - Beautifully written, and the author’s attitude on life and death is one I hope I could maintain if I ever found myself in a similar situation. Humor is essential, and a strong support system is key. 

Products + Things
Thou Mayest Wild Child Coffee - I picked up these whole beans on a whim (mostly due to the stellar packaging), but it was a pleasant departure from my regular daily K Cup coffee.

Sunday Riley Luna Oil - This was a treat myself impulse buy around Christmas because I've used this face oil in the past and it's so luxurious.

Beats Wireless Headphones - A Black Friday sale encouraged this splurge, but they've already paid for themselves by enabling me with the freedom of not being tied to my phone at the gym, at my desk, and tidying up at home. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment