November 18, 2015

Quarter of a Century


In a few days I'll be a quarter of a century old. Let that sink in for a minute.

Are you done freaking out yet? Can we move on? Good. Let's catch up on a few of the wild and crazy things I've been up to before I turn to stone.

+ I conquered my (deep) fear of flying in a small plane. And I mean tiny. Like two-passengers-arm-to-arm-the-pilot-better-not-sneeze-because-I'd-have-to-take-over tiny. Are you following? We took off at dusk, flew to a BBQ restaurant at the end of a nearby runway, and cruised above a very lit up Kansas City. It was equal parts fabulous and frightening. We may or may not have diverted a landing at the downtown airport because I had a minor meltdown. I'm here to talk about it, so we'll just leave it at that.

+ I moved! And by moved, I mean I packed up all my shit and realized I have way too much shit. Like why I hold on to some of the things I hold on to is beyond me. Am I really going to wear the sweatpants from junior high track that I've kept in my storage closet for four years? (Not any more, because I took them to Goodwill tonight...#regrets.) I've been reading a lot about this book called The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up (I haven't actually read the book; I've just been reading other people's reviews and takeaways – the broke girl's guide to reading), and what I've gathered is that you are supposed to get rid of things when they no longer bring you joy. You hold the item in your hands and ask yourself, "Does this bring me joy?" If it does, you can keep it; if not, you thank said item for the joy it brought you at one point in your life, then you toss it in that Goodwill pile and pretend like emotional attachment doesn't exist.

+ I made hummus. Like from scratch. Without tahini. It was okay. I actually prefer the store-bought version if I'm being honest. It's much creamier, and I even squished all of the stupid skins off two cans of chickpeas. A lot of work, but I felt very accomplished dipping my carrot sticks in it.

So moral of this post is to do things that scare you. Fly in small planes, get rid of things that are just things, and squish those damn chickpea skins.

Oh, and age is just a number, and is nothing to be frightened by.

0 comments:

Post a Comment